Marinas.com
Home » Buying a used boat » Tips On Buying A Boat

The Boat Man

05/25/2008 at 11:24 am -

Hi Guys,

Thought it would be useful to add some information for people trying to purchase a second hand boat. Below is a good guide of how to make such a purchase.

If anyone has any further tips please feel free to add them.

When buying a boat you must first allocate a budget, or the total amount that you are willing to spend. Once you have a number in mind you usually have to add another 50% to this figure as the quality that you will think you can get for the price you want generally do not match up.

When allocating a budget you need to remember that you are not just paying for the boat. Other fees/costs that will come up can/do include:

-Licensing & Registration fees (for boat and trailer)

-Maintenance costs (Boat, engine ad trailer)

-Mooring fees

-Safety Equipment costs

-Insurance

-Pre purchase inspection fees

-Servicing costs

-Toys for boat (skis, wakeboard, fishing gear etc.)

-Stamp Duty

-Fuel

-Boat launching/Parking fees

Now it is time to assess what sort of boat you are after. Below are some questions you may need to consider:

-Fibreglass or tin?

-Cruiser, Sports boat, Fishing or All-rounder?

-Inboard or Outboard engine (or Paddle)?

-2-stroke or 4-stroke engine

-What size boat do I want?

-How many people will be using the boat?

-Do I have room to store the boat?

-What will I be using the boat for?

These are just some of the questions you will need to ask yourself. It is also a good idea to speak with other people who have boats or even new boat dealers to discuss what model is right for you. Even if you are not even considering purchasing a new boat, dealers can still offer a vast array of knowledge that may help you in your decision.

James Fletcher is a boating and fishing enthusiast. His website is a great source of boating and fishing knowledge. Find more usefull boating and fishing tips at:

http://www.freeboatingtips.com