Wood Island Lighthouse is, not surprisingly, located on Wood Island, which is just a short one and a half-mile-long boat ride from Biddeford Pool. Seventy one feet tall with a light that flashes alternating green and white light signals every ten seconds, the light is an important aid to navigation for the Biddeford Pool and Saco Bay region.
Although the United States Coast Guard automated the lighthouse in 1986, a light station has been in place here as early as 1808, with construction of the lighthouse actually taking place in 1858. Three older buildings, including a keeper’s house are still on the island with the lighthouse.
Tours of the Wood Island Lighthouse are available through an organization called Friends of the Wood Island Lighthouse. The organization’s boat, the Light Runner, leaves Vines landing in Biddeford Pool at 6 p.m. on Wednesdays and at 1p.m. and 2p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. There is no cost for the trip, but donations to the organization are suggested. Trips are available on a first-come first-served basis, and the boat can accommodate about 17 people.