Situated between Mount Desert Island and the Schoodic Peninsula at the opening to Frenchman Bay, Egg Rock Lighthouse marks the approach to Frenchman Bay and wards mariners off of Egg Rock itself.
The lighthouse flashes a red beam of light into the surrounding waters every five seconds, and if fog rolls in, a horn signal will blast twice every thirty seconds. The lighthouse is constructed of brick and wood, with a red roof and white siding.
The lighthouse was completed here in 1875, and a keeper’s house, generator house, boathouse, oil house and fog signal building still stand on the island. The light was automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1975 when the old fifth order Fresnel lens was replaced with a new acrylic one, and today, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service maintains the island. The light is still an active aid to navigation.
Use NOAA Chart 13318.
Egg Rock serves both to announce the entrance to Frenchman Bay, and also to keep mariners clear of the island itself. Water depths are very deep in, around and right up to the light, but as with most outcroppings keep a decent distance; the light is there for a reason.
The lighthouse is unfortunately not open to the public, and due to the rugged nature of the island, the lighthouse is best-viewed form the water.