Beaming a flashing white light every six seconds across Cape Porpoise Harbor, the Goat Island Lighthouse is an important aid to navigation in the Kennebunkport region. Constructed of brick, the lighthouse has a black and white finish and stands 38 feet above the waters surrounding Cape Porpoise. A horn sounds every 15 seconds during periods of fog. The lighthouse is currently automated and maintained by the United States Coast Guard as an active aid to navigation.
The original light station was established in 1833 and the lighthouse was constructed in 1859. The United States Coast Guard automated the light in 1990. The keeper’s house, oil house and a boathouse still stand on the island today
Goat Island is only accessible by boat and the island and the lighthouse are only open to the public with prior special arrangements.