The Owls head Lighthouse is located off of Penobscot Bay, just south and east of Rockland, and is part of the Owls Head Light State Park. The 100-foot-high white and black lighthouse is constructed of brick, and has a fourth order Fresnel lens that casts a fixed white light. During periods of fog, a signal blasts every 20 seconds.
The lighthouse was constructed here in 1825, and the United States Coast Guard automated the light in 1989. The keeper’s house, a generator building and an old oil house are still standing on the property.
Use NOAA Chart 13303.
The Owls Head Lighthouse is one of two aids to navigation that guide boaters into Rockland Harbor, the other being the Rockland Harbor Breakwater Light to the north.
Although the lighthouse and light keepers house are not open to the public, they are part of the Owls Head Light State Park, and there is plenty of parking available near the lighthouse.