The 2021 Boaters’ Choice Awards Recipients Are Here! See This Year’s Marina Honorees

Report Review

The instructions on Dockwa were great in terms of finding the mooring field and our assignment, with no need to call for assistance. The facilities, bathroom and showers, were very nice at the new harbor master building. The launch was easy friendly and quick. Two issues: first when we arrive to our mooring ball #7 there was a small power boat tied up. We called the harbor master office. They asked us to tie up to another ball and wait for the small boat to leave. We asked if we could just stay at ball # 8. They said no we would have to move. We stated that we would like to go ashore and not have to wait around. The harbor master said they would out shortly to remove the boat from ball # 7. As the harbor master arrived so did the owner of the small boat. There was conversation but the illegal tie up. But the squatters left the ball and we moved to our assigned # 7 ball. I wonder why we could have not stayed on #8 as no one stayed on that mooring during our overnight stay? We were inconvenienced for about 45 minutes. With no apologies or fines or payment charged to the squatters. Which brings me to my second issue: We stayed one night, Sunday night and left Monday morning. I received an email requesting $135 for staying on the mooring until Wednesday. Monday night we stayed in Onset harbor booking through Dockwa. And Tuesday night in Cutty Hunk. I have receipts for both stays. Wednesday morning we were sailing in Block Island sound. We should not be charged for the two additional nights. Ironically the wanted to charge me for days I was not there, but did not charge the squatter when the caught them? I realize the harbor master has a tough job with the size and number of moorings, but they should police the mooring field. I know they have boats and crew that they can check the mooring ball assignments. Three boats and about six crew members arrived to deal with the squatter. Plus records would show we had reservations for one night. They could verify we had left Monday morning by a boat ride or visual observation from their beautiful new office, which oversees the harbor and mooring field. We will consider staying there again, but next time we’ll radio the harbor master when we leave and record the time and name of the person on the radio. Overall we had a pleasant stay in Plymouth for the nineteenth hours were in town spending close to $300 on meals, attractions and gifts helping the local economy.