|Name||Reviews||Max LOA||VHF||Dock Depth||Gas / Diesel||Lift / Crane||Wifi||Amps|
|Shady Oaks Marina||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Hartge Yacht Harbor|
|30 AMP, 50 AMP|
|Chalk Point Marina|
|-||Low 6.0'||-||-||-||30 & 50A Electric Service|
|West River Yacht Harbour Condominium Assoc||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Woodfield Fish & Oyster Co||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|West River Fuel Dock||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Pirates Cove Marina||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
Partly cloudy throughout the day.
Lat38° 49' 14.88''
Lon-76° 33' 12.95''
Galesville is a small, rural town on Marylands Western Shore about 25 miles south of the state capital of Annapolis built on on a tradition of oysters, fish and crabs harvested from local waters.
In 2002, Galesville celebrated its 350th anniversary, making it one of the oldest villages in the United States. The area was originally called Brownton, after the Puritans who settled there in 1652; and later the name changed to West River Landing and then to Galloways. These early settlers came into the province following the enactment of the famous "Act of Toleration" of 1649, and eventually became Quakers.
The West River Quaker Meeting in the spring of 1672 represented the birth of Quakerism in Maryland, the second such meeting in Maryland. The great numbers of Quakers who came to the large Meetings of the West River Friends lived in tents or hurriedly built shelters so that the adjoining creek, originally "Brown's", became known as "Tenthouse Creek" by which name it is called today.
Almost from the beginning West River Landing became the focal point of shipping and travel in this area, and in 1684 it was officially designated a "port of entry", along with Town Point at Herring Bay, Londontown on the South River and "Newtown", now Annapolis, on the Severn. The village continued to be the main port on the West River for both shipping and travel up to and through the steamboat era. Throughout colonial times the landing probably consisted of a wharf together with a warehouse or two and possibly a store or blacksmith shop. In 1924 the name of the town was changed to Galesville in honor of Richard Gale, a prominent Quaker planter in the area.
There are three large marinas in Galesville, and two of them are capable of virtually any repair. Hartge Yacht Harbor boasts a 50 ton travel lift and a guest cottage for slip holders' visitors. Another has a full-service restaurant with an extensive seafood menu and there are also 3 antique shops and an art gallery.
With thanks to the Galesville Heritage Society. http://www.galesvilleheritagesociety.org
Use NOAA Chart 12270.
To get to Galesville from the Chesapeake Bay, be sure to mind the extensive shoal that extends northward and eastward from Curtis Point toward flashing green buoy 1A.
Farther on, from flashing green buoy 1, set a course toward flashing red 2, which marks a shallow six-foot-deep spot south of Dutchman Point. From this point, you can start your transit into the West River and on toward Galesville. Keep in mind that most of the West River is a No-Wake Zone and speeds are strictly enforced by the marine police.
Most of the marinas are easily reached right on the Galesville waterfront.