Located on East Penobscot Bay northwest of Deer Isle and north of Fox Islands Thorofare, the Eagle Island Lighthouse marks the channel up East Penobscot Bay on the northern end of Eagle Island itself. The white and black lighthouse is constructed of stone and flashes a white light every four seconds 106 feet above East Penobscot Bay.
The lighthouse was built in 1838 and automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1959. The original fourth order Fresnel lens was replaced with a 300mm optic at this time. A fog bell building that was added in 1939 still stands on the island.
Use NOAA Chart 13305.
The Eagle Island Lighthouse guides mariners up the east side of East Penobscot Bay toward Cape Rosier and Castine, Maine. An additional aid to navigation, a can buoy, also marks the northern end of Eagle Island.
The lighthouse is not open to the public and can be viewed best from the water.