One of two Mark Island Lighthouses in Maine (the other is on Deer Island Thorofare), the Winter Harbor Light was discontinued in 1933 and is presently unlit. A flashing white buoy on the southern end of Mark Island now heralds the approach to Winter Harbor.
The house is constructed of brick and asphalt, and as many Maine lighthouses are, it is painted a white, black and red finish.
The lighthouse here was constructed in 1856 and the lighthouse was discontinued in 1933. There is a light keepers house, boathouse and oil house (some of which were built 130 years ago).
The Marks Island Lighthouse is located at the entrance to Winter Harbor, and although the lighthouse itself is no longer an active aid to navigation, a flashing white buoy now marks the entrance to the harbor.
Winter Harbor is deep and wide all the way to its head and is unmarked for its entire length.
The lighthouse and island are not open to the public. The lighthouse is alternately viewable from across Winter Harbor on Schoodic Peninsula, or from the water by boat.