Little Cumberland Island Lighthouse was built in 1838. It had fourteen lamps generating a fixed light, which distinguished it from the older tower to the south that had a revolving light. In 1874, a brick wall was built around the lighthouse to protect it from the encroaching sea. The lighthouse was in service until 1915 when it was deactivated. The keeper's house and all other light station buildings were demolished in 1968, but the tower remained. The tower was renovated in 1994 to 1998. A large dune protects the lighthouse from the ocean, but as a result the tower is now barely visible from the water. Little Cumberland Island is privately owned and is not open to the public.
The lighthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places, No. 89001407. It was designated on August 8, 1989.