Located on the San Pedro Breakwater at the western edge of the Los Angeles Harbor Main Channel, the Los Angeles Harbor Lighthouse has a distinctive white and black finish and a flashing green beam (with horn during fog) that flashes every 15 seconds 73 feet above the water.
The two-mile-long San Pedro Breakwater was completed in 1910, and the Los Angeles Harbor Light was first put into service on its eastern end in 1913. The lighthouse originally contained a first-order Fresnel lens and is constructed of brick, stone and steel in a white and black finish.
The United States Coast Guard automated the light in 1975.
Use NOAA Chart 18749.
The Main Channel for Los Angeles Harbor is border on the east by the San Pedro Breakwater, and on the east by Middle Breakwater. Water depths are around 80 feet in most places. As Los Angeles is an extremely busy commercial harbor, a close watch for large freighter vessels, tugs and barge tows is always recommended.
The lighthouse is unfortunately not open for tours due to its remote location.