The Pond Island Lighthouse is located at the entrance to the Kennebec River on Pond Island, which is just southeast of Popham Beach. The 52-foot-tall brick light tower casts a three second on, three second off ISO signal, and a horn blast can be heard every 30 seconds during periods of fog. It is finished in the typical Maine black and white color scheme.
The original light station was established here in 1821, and construction was completed on the lighthouse itself in 1855. From 1855 until 1963, the light was fully tended by a designated light keeper until the United States Coast Guard automated the light in 1963. This is the only building left standing on the island and is a very important aid to navigation.
Use NOAA Chart 13293.
Pond Island serves as a very important aid to navigation for boaters entering the Kennebec River. The mouth of the Kennebec River can be quite a dynamic place, but all of the ledges and shoals are very well marked. Be sure to honor all the aids to navigation at the entrance to the river, as many rock ledges dot the opening. Once past Popham Pile, the River begins to open op a bit.
Local Notices to Mariners are available online from the U.S. Coast Guard.
Although the island is open to the public, landing, even by dinghy, is almost impossible, due to the rock nature of the islands shore.