Although the original lighthouse no longer stands here, a USCG-maintained light still shines from the steep cliff above the Santa Barbara Channel, just southwest of the main part of town.
The first lighthouse was completed and manned here in 1856, but a strong earthquake in Santa Barbara in 1925 destroyed the lighthouse. A small steel tower now serves to hold an electric optic today.
Use NOAA Chart 18725.
Characteristics: Flashing white every ten seconds with a focal plane 142 feet above the Pacific Ocean.
The original lighthouse is no longer standing, and only a small steel tower serves to protect the light. The light is on the grounds of a USCG base and off limits.