Situated among the many islands that dot Muscoungous Bay on the east edge of Old Hump Channel, Franklin Island Lighthouse marks a narrow passage through to Goose Rock Ledge to the northeast. The light stands some 57 feet above the water and beams a white light that flashes every six seconds into the surrounding waters.
The lighthouse is constructed of brick and has a white and black finish. A small oil house still stands on the island with the lighthouse today.
The original light station was established here in 1807, and the lighthouse was constructed in 1855. The United States Coast Guard automated the light in 1933.
Use NOAA Chart 13301.
Located on the east edge of Old Hump Channel, the Franklin Island Lighthouse actually marks a passage from Western Egg Rock to Goose Rock Ledge. Aside from numerous unmarked rock ledges to the south, the water around Franklin Island carries good depths. The main passage is between Franklin Island and Harbor Island to the north.
Franklin Island is part of the Franklin Island Wildlife Refuge and is only reachable for visits by boat. The lighthouse is closed to the public.