Baker Island is part of the chain of islands south of Mount Desert Isle that also include Little Cranberry and Cranberry islands. The lights original purpose was to warn mariners not only of the existence of the island itself, but more importantly of the shoals that protrude from its western end.
The lighthouse is white in color, stands105 feet above the water and is constructed of brick, while a 300mm battery-powered Fresnel lens flashes a white light from the top every 10 seconds. A solar array recharges the batteries when sunlight is available. Trees unfortunately block most of the light's signal today.
The original station was established in 1828 and the present lighthouse was constructed at its current location in 1855. An oil house, fuel house and two outbuildings are also still standing on the island. The United States Coast Guard automated the station in 1966.
Many rock ledges and shoals surround the north and west side of the island, and the east and south sides are wide open to the ocean. For those who would like to visit the island, there is a small anchorage on the north side, with 20- to 40-foot depths. Two nun buoys mark rock ledges on the east shore.
The lighthouse is not open to the public.