Situated on the west side of Quoddy Narrows, at West Quoddy Head, this lighthouse stands on the easternmost point of the United States and overlooks the Bay of Fundy.
The lighthouse lens is situated 83 feet above the water, and a white light flashes twice every 15 seconds. During periods of fog, two foghorn blasts can be heard.
The original light station was established on West Quoddy head in 1808. The red and white brick structure that stands there today was constructed in 1858 and is still using the original Fresnel lens that it was constructed with some 148 years later.
A few buildings still stand on the property along with the lighthouse including the keepers house, an oil house and an old fog signal building.
Complimentary parking is available in West Quoddy State Park, and the lighthouse is a short walk from the parking lot. The light keepers house is now a museum and visitors center that is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. opening on Memorial Day weekend and closing in mid October.