Great Duck Island Lighthouse is located 10 miles south of the Cranberry Island chain, which itself is near Mount Desert Island.
The light at Great Duck Island flashes red every five seconds, and in fog, a horn signal is audible every 15 seconds. The light is easily visible from all directions but from the north-northwest to north-northeast quadrant, as trees obscure the light. The lights main purpose is to keep mariners clear of the island and also serve as an aid to navigation for those heading north toward Mount Desert Island.
Great Duck Island Lighthouse was established and constructed in 1890 and is made of brick with the traditional white, black and red finishes to rooftops, peaks and outbuildings.
The United States Coast Guard automated the light in 1986, replacing the old fifth order Fresnel lens with an acrylic VRB-25 element. The College of the Atlantic maintains the grounds and buildings, while the Coast Guard maintains the light as an aid to navigation.
Use NOAA Chart 13313.
The lighthouse and island are unfortunately not open to the public and therefore best viewed by boat.